Saturday, April 20, 2013

Tennis Weekend in Boca Grande Florida

We ladies like to go away for a tennis weekend. and for your next getaway, I am suggesting a couples weekend getaway to Boca Grande, FL.  You could have a ladies match, a guys match and then a mixed doubles round.  Afterward, the men can go out for a late morning  fishing expedition, and the ladies can enjoy the spa at the Gasparilla Inn.  We have been to Boca Grande many times for a mini vacation.  Our favorite place is the cottages at the Inn 


Boca Grand holds a special place in my husband's heart so he has requested (demanded) to coauthor this article with me (incidentally, my husband will be a guest author of future articles).  This is Boca Grand in his words:

 Many articles have been written about the quaint, gulf island getaway of Boca Grande.  My family has been visiting Boca Grande for decades and much change has occurred over the years, but I am happy to say that all of the important things that make BG special are still robustly intact.  BG is most famously known for its world-class fishing grounds, particularly tarpon fishing.  However, BG has developed into a uniquely well-rounded destination, whether you like to take leisure strolls on gorgeous beaches, watch unrivaled gulf sunsets before heading to the Temptation (town watering hole) for a "dark and stormy", take a pleasure cruise to one of the many islands for lunch at a nostalgic inn, stroll along park avenue for some boutique shopping, play a round of golf along the bay, and oh yeah, play numerous sets of tennis.  If you were to mix together one part Palm Beach, one part Key West, one part Martha's Vineyard, and one part ole' cracker Florida, you would begin to approach the flavor of BG.

In days past, fishing, sun frolicking and beverage drinking were the order of the day for me, but recently I have discovered that BG is a legit tennis destination.  The Gasparilla Inn and club has seven, well-manicured Har-tru courts available to its guests.  Also, the island has several hard courts open to the public.  Once you have had completed your tennis workout, you can walk over to the Beach club to cool down in the pool, assisted by a pina colada (with optional Myers topper), before you head down to beach and soak your body in the therapeutic warmth of the gulf waters.

If you have a boat,  I highly recommend crossing the Boca Grande pass over to Useppa Island for a day trip or stayover at the historical Collier Inn.   http://www.useppa.com/inn.html



Once you step off your boat at the marina, there is a palpable feeling that you have taken a step back in time.  The Collier inn is a bit of hike from the marina, but it is unique stroll through a banyan tree covered walkway through the many villas and cottages of the island.  Upon entering the anteroom at the Inn, you are greeted by walls adorned with countless photos of old fishing photos, many dating back to at least the early 1900s.  One can feel the presence of the lingering happy spirits of fisherman who found this fishing paradise decades ago.  You also immediately get the feeling that this place has seen more than its fair share of good times over the years.   A warm chuckle tends to bubble up in my throat as I realize that I have contributed my fair share as well.





 The Collier Inn has great food and is a great place to have lunch.  And oh, if you think to bring your rackets, the Inn has three clay courts that are available to its guests.



If it is not clear so far, I love Boca Grande and the surrounding islands.  Since my wife was writing an article about our recent trip there, I felt I needed to provide my two cents.  Overcrowding of the island is the only danger I see to this place.  So do me favor... if you have a chance to go there, please don't tell anyone how awesome it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment